As the PSTN switch-off date nears, many companies are unsure about what’s next.
The Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) has been the backbone of global telecommunication for over a century. However, as with all technologies, there comes a time for evolution and change. The PSTN switchover is the process of transitioning from traditional analogue voice circuits to digital voice services. The network will be turned off entirely by December 2025. This shift is monumental, and its implications for businesses are significant.
Read on as we discuss what this means for you and the steps you need to take to ensure a smooth transition.
What is the PSTN Switchover?
The PSTN/ISDN switchover is the phasing out of the traditional analogue telephone lines and their replacement with digital technologies, primarily Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) like Horizon and Microsoft Phone System. This transition is driven by the need for more efficient, scalable, and feature-rich communication solutions that can keep pace with the demands of modern businesses.
Since 5th September 2023, a nationwide stop-sell on PSTN and PSTN-supported services is in effect. That means providers like us can no longer provide new analogue phone lines and broadband services like DSL and FTTC.
Why is the PSTN Switch Off Happening?
There are several reasons:
- Ageing Infrastructure: The existing PSTN infrastructure is old and expensive to maintain. As components wear out, they become harder to replace due to obsolescence.
- Technological Advancements: Digital communication technologies offer better voice quality, more features, and the ability to integrate with other business systems.
- Cost Efficiency: Digital services, especially VoIP, can be more cost-effective than traditional phone lines, especially for long-distance and international calls.
Implications for your business
- Service Disruption: If you still rely on PSTN, you may face service disruptions if you don’t transition before the complete phase-out.
- New Opportunities: Digital communication platforms offer features like video conferencing, instant messaging, and integration with CRM systems, providing businesses with tools to enhance productivity and customer service.
- Connectivity: If your current internet is reliant on PSTN (Line Rental), then it will be affected by the shutdown. You must upgrade your connection to an alternative like FTTP or SoGEA.
- Cost Implications: While initial costs might be associated with the transition, the long-term savings and operational efficiencies will be substantial.
How We Can Help with the Transition
- Comprehensive Analysis: Our team will thoroughly review your existing telecommunication infrastructure. We’ll identify how many lines you have and the features you utilise. Then, we’ll provide a detailed cost analysis.
- One-Stop Solution: As leading experts in VoIP and telecoms, we offer top-tier solutions tailored to your business requirements and budget. You won’t need to sift through countless providers; we’ve got you covered.
- Expert Training: We believe in empowering our clients. Our dedicated training sessions will equip your staff with the knowledge and skills to harness the full potential of the new systems, ensuring a seamless transition.
- Infrastructure Enhancement: Our technical team will evaluate your current setup and recommend necessary upgrades. Whether it’s bolstering your internet bandwidth, supplying state-of-the-art handsets, or any other hardware needs, we’ve got it all under one roof.
The PSTN switchover is not just a technological shift but a complete change in how businesses communicate. While the transition might seem daunting, the benefits of digital communication platforms far outweigh the challenges. By planning and taking proactive steps, you’ll ensure a seamless transition and position yourself for success in the digital age.
Is your business prepared for the transition? We can simplify the process for you.